Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Kindergarten Pigs!

I absolutely LOVE Kindergarteners. There is something about their innocence and how it transfers into their work that makes me smile uncontrollably! These pigs were a great example of that transfer!


I found this project via Pinterest from Apex Elementary Art check out the post here. I really liked it as is, but needed a little extra to take up more time the second class, so we added in mud with brown tempera paint. I did limit them with the amount of paint to make sure their adorable pigs were still visible for those that like to get carried away... While I loved the project, I couldn't figure out what it was that I was actually teaching other than drawing a pig... Then I came across these AWESOME books via our Books are Fun rep in the district (both can be found on amazon). Each page has a front view of an animal and the mouth opens to show the inside of the mouth and the noise the animal makes.

















And with that, my lesson was born! We read the books and talked about how animals look different from the front then they do the side (foreshortening!)! We also talked about how most animals and living things are made up of shapes...

Day 1: We read the books and had our above discussion then did a draw along for the pigs. The biggie was that we went straight sharpie, no pencil, which worked out great! It made them focus a little more before drawing and allowed for some really great "mistakes" on the pigs that gave them so much more personality. Then they colored the pigs with crayon. Some started watercolor if they were quick workers but none finished....

Day 2: Finished painting the grass and sky with watercolor and then added the mud! It was a great finishing touch and where they put it and how much also played into the personalities.

ABSOLUTELY I would do this again, maybe look pictures of real pigs and offer more color choices so they are even more fitting to different students....Check them out, I had really fun with some of the displays!

McDill Elementary...




 Jefferson Elementary...







Kennedy Elementary across two boards...





No comments:

Post a Comment