Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

"I Ain't Gonna Paint No More" Self-Portraits (2017)


These self-portraits are inspired by one of my favorite books "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!" written by Karen Beaumont, Illustrated by David Catrow, an Art Teacher book must have!
There are a lot of different versions of projects based on this book out there, I love doing it this way because they really get to play with the watercolors, and it is a great intake of drawing, painting, cutting, and writing skills.
I've done this project many times in the past and it's made transformations over the years. Here are older posts if you are looking to see what I've done in the past and the project broken down a little more. Here is November 2016, October 2015, June 2015, and my first attempt in June 2014.


The only change this year was a little cutting practice before we cut out the portraits, mostly formative assessment to see what I was working with and so I could make scissor-hold corrections right away. I drew up this sheet and we sat on the floor together and cut each part while I told a story about "my friend Joe who wanted to get to the kitchen to eat all the triangle foods he was thinking about" but first he had to "weave through the forest", "climb the very sharp hills", "climb across the thick wall", and "swim across the pond". We finished with a bubble cut around him and his thoughts so he "wouldn't forget what he wanted to eat when he got to the kitchen". It was so successful one of my Kindergarten teachers asked me to draw up some other cutting sheets for her kiddos. 


Right: "Can I draw what's on our insides?"


2 comments:

  1. It is a huge relief reading such a carefully curated piece. With all the stress in the world right now, you definitely need some MEDICAL MARIJUANA in your life.

    In order to do so, you need to know HOW TO ORDER WEED ONLINE​ ​ The world needs all the calm and serenity it could use at this moment in time. I must bookmark this to share with my colleagues. Good job mate. Spread Love every chance you get. PEACE

    ReplyDelete